January 05, 2008

A Marine's Miracles


A Marine's Miracles


by
Melanie Morgan

Even in death, Lance Cpl. Travis Layfield is reaching back to his family.
The Fremont, CA, Marine was just 19 when he laid down his life in Iraq, one of 20,000 Camp Pendleton Marines fighting off murderous Islamic radicals around Fallujah and Ramadi on April 6, 2004.


...Last fall, a DNA test confirmed that Travis Layfield left more behind than his loving spirit. Diane Layfield, Travis' mother, found out that he left a young son.
... But Travis wasn't done yet surprising his family.
During my most recent trip to visit our troops in Kuwait a Marine sergeant approached me.
... "Please, ma'am, will you do me a favor? I recruited her (Mrs. Layfield's) son into the Marines, and I have carried his bracelet with me for two and a half years.
Will you give it to his mom? It would mean so much to me."
...I took the bracelet and promised him that I would deliver the remembrance of a young man who lived and died for his country.
I am going to make good on that promise today.

... It is a Christmas gift neither she nor I will ever forget.
Requiescat In Pace, Marine

                               

No comments: