Don't Worry, Be Stupid

I read the Disney newsgroups because I'm a Disney freak and reading what others have to say about their experiences can be entertaining, enlightening... and sometimes infuriating.

Like this excerpt from a recent trip report:


Please be kind, this is my forst (sic) trip report.


The vacation: Myself, Wife, Daughter (age 8) and Son (age 5)


We went to the marina and rented two sea-racers.  The last time I rented a watercraft at WDW was when I was a teenager and it was a 1-person watersprite on Bay Lake.  Now that swimming in those waters is down-right dangerous, I was intrigued to find that the ond (sic) 1-person sea-racers had been replaced by two-person mini-boats.


After signing paperwork that I would not allow my son to pilot the boat, once out of sight of the dock, he took over and showed a pretty good level of piloting skill. He especially enjoyed yelling to people he saw that he was a "pirate pilot! We also enjoyed watching my wife try to pilot a boat for the first time in her life...a few rough spots and a near collision, but lots of fun.

So what's my problem with this?

# 1 : Letting the 5-year old pilot the craft after signing the paperwork specifically stating you wouldn't.  The paperwork is there to protect you, your family, the other guests, and Cast Members. Had you/your wife/your son had an accident I doubt your trip report would have been as 'cute' as you think it was.
 
Some example you're setting for your kids, buddy.

# 2 : The writer is a school teacher.

I wonder if the concepts of 'honesty' and 'personal responsibility' ever enter into his lesson plans?

Perhaps he is a 'social progressive educator' who believes that taking responsibility is for the other person who is always at fault anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday, Marines!

Barky Obummer, Poser

Fallen Hero: SSgt Jason Rogers, USMC