July 26, 2010

No News is Good News

My on-going disgust at the lack of journalistic news ethics is apparently nothing new:

Charles Dickens: "They(newspapers) are so filthy and bestial that no honest man would admit one into his house for a water-closet doormat."

Humorist Goodman Ace: "I keep reading between the lies."

Thomas Jefferson: "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."

George Bernard Shaw: "Newspapers are unable seemingly to discriminate between a bicycle accident and the collapse of civilization."

Charles Baudelaire: "I am unable to understand how a man of honor could take a newspaper in his hands without a shudder of disgust."

H.L. Mencken: "A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier."

Marshall McLuhan: "Far more thought and care go into the composition of any prominent ad in a newspaper or magazine than go into the writing of their features and editorials."

Adlai E. Stevenson: "Newspaper editors are men who separate the wheat from the chaff, and then print the chaff."

and my personal favorite:

General William Tecumseh Sherman: "I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all, there would be news from Hell before breakfast."


No comments: