October 24, 2008

He Is John Galt


John Galt is a character in Ayn Rand's classic novel Atlas Shrugged.

This John Galt is Keith Arnold, September 24, 2008:

"I have had it up to my eyeballs with the ever-growing government, the nanny-state, the collectivism, the whole world demanding more and more from the producers. I am done with the corrupt politicians, the slackers, the deadbeats, and all the looters and moochers.

I am sick of a government which has drifted from its early Constitutional foundation of limited central government and great individual freedom, and become a bloated behemoth consuming 40 percent of our economy and hungry for more. I am finished with out-of-control political correctness and its attendant thought police outlawing truth in order to cater to those who would destroy us.

HERE I STAND. I AM JOHN GALT.

Whether the world around me likes it or not, I will put my foot down and insist on personal responsibility and accountability. I will tell my government to take its hands off my rights, my freedom, and my wallet. If the people of other nations are content to allow their countries to devolve into Hell, that's their business. I'm sick of financing their destruction. They can plunge into chaos on their own dime.

As for my own, I will be a call for my government to return to doing those things which are right for a legitimate government to do - to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty for ourselves and our posterity. Not to regulate the price of milk, meddle with the mortgage market, bail out failing companies, or tell me how to raise my children.

HERE I STAND. I AM JOHN GALT.

And I have a pulpit. I may not be able to stop the motor of the world, but I will stomp on the brake, and I will fight for control of the steering wheel before the motor seizes up on its own - and believe me, that motor is on its way to seizing up.

I will give Caesar his due, but I will not bow to him.

I am John Galt. Come and join me, or come and get me. Here I stand."


I believe Ms. Rand would approve.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you - THANK YOU! - for the post; I am genuinely humbled by this. I'm not surprised a bit to find that there are people in this country who feel the same way I do, but I'm floored to have attracted as much attention as I seem to have by my rant.

I dearly hope that people like us can band together and pull our country back from the brink it seems determined to drive over. I will be checking back and reading your blog in the future, and you and your readers are always welcome at STAND. Thank you again -