May 28, 2009

Star Trek: The Future Begins


SPOILER ALERT: There are a couple.


We saw the new Star Trek movie yesterday.

As a TOS Trekkie, I was 96% pleased.

I deducted 1% for the time travel thing.
I just don't like it. It confuses me.
And I especially didn't like old Spock coming face to face with young Spock.
That's not supposed to ever happen.
Sci-Fi set the parameters for time travel.
..you can never meet yourself!!
Even Harry Potter knows that!


Another 1% for so many gigantic, humungous explosions.
CGI technology makes it them easy to do, so they do them and do t
hem, bigger and louder....

And 1% for the Spock-Uhura thing.
I know the writers were showing the 'human side' of Spock, bu
t the Spock I know would never have allowed that! Never. Unless it was Pon Farr.

What I did like: ALL the rest of it.

The characters (Kirk and Spock and Uhura and Sulu and Chekov) were great.

My 2nd favorite character was Montgomery Scott, played by Simon Pegg (aka Shaun of the Dead). Excellent! He stole every scene he was in, and there weren't enough of those!

My very favorite character was Dr. McCoy. Karl Urban was absolutely believable as the young Bones; he even looked like a younger version of Deforest Kelly.


There was also dialogue that any TOS Trekkie would recognize:
"I'm a doctor, not a physicist!"
I am glad the bad guys were the Romulans and not the Klingons. The Klingons are mean but stupid while the Romulans are mean but smart. Loved their nasty-looking ship.

Oh, and the last 1% deduction?

At the end of the movie, the familiar words:
Space... the Final Frontier. These are the continuing voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
were not in the familiar voice of the original
Captain James T. Kirk. --->


I told you I am a TOS Trekkie!





No comments: