I'm sorry to say that this highly descriptive nickname for Mrs Barack Hussein Obama was not mine. It must be credited to commenter atommc who wrote:
Moochelle's 2012 campaign slogan: "Free at last, Free at last.. everything in this country is free.. at last!"
Does it fit?
The Barack Hussein Obama family has taken 16 extended vacations in 3 years.
I think so.
andWith the economy on its knees, many American families have had to forgo their annual holiday just to make ends meet. But barely a month after returning from a luxury Christmas break in Hawaii Michelle Obama is on holiday again - this time at the exclusive Colorado ski resort of Aspen. It's her 16th holiday since her husband took office.
And last year Mrs Obama took Sasha and Malia to Vail and Beaver Creek last Presidents' Day just days after the President tried to sell his cost-cutting budget to the American people by asking them to stay at home.
Mrs Obama also raised eyebrows when for the second year in a row she left earlier than her husband for their annual Christmas holiday in Hawaii, incurring additional expenses of an estimated $100,000. The 17 day holiday is estimated to have cost taxpayers $4 million.
All total, with Christmas and summer holidays included, the Colorado jaunt is trip number 16 for Mrs. Obama since the family moved to the White House.
and: Moochelle, the First lady of Luxury Travel:
SPAIN: AUGUST 2010
- Michelle Obama and 40 of her friends paid for personal expenses, such as hotels and meals themselves.
- But the U.S. taxpayer would have paid for the 68-strong security detail, personal staff and use of presidential jet Air Force Two.
- Payment for the secret service team ran at around $281 each - nearly $98,000 for the duration of the summer break.
- Use of Air Force Two comes in at $149,900 for the round trip, not including time on the ground.
- Mrs Obama's personal staff, of which there were an unknown number, should also be taken into accountHAWAII: DECEMBER 2010According to the Hawaii Reporter the costs were:
- $63,000 on an early flight bringing Mrs Obama and the children to Hawaii ahead of the President
- $1,000,000 on Mr Obama’s return trip from Washington on Air Force One
- $16,000 to rent nearby homes for Secret Service and Navy Seals
- $134,000 for 24 White House staff to stay at the Moana Hotel
- $251,000 in police overtime
- $10,000 for an ambulance to be on hand at all times
SKI TRIP TO VAIL: FEBRUARY 2011
- Michelle Obama and her daughters stayed at the Sebastian hotel on Vail Mountain, where rooms cost more than $2,400 for multi-bedroom suites.
- The family appear to have flown there on Air Force Two.
- They were escorted to the resort by about a dozen vehicles, including 15 state and local law enforcement officers.MARTHA'S VINEYARD: AUGUST 2011
- The Blue Heron Farm estate, where the Obama family stayed, rents for about $50,000 a week.
- Michelle, Sasha and Malia Obama flew to the estate just hours before the president to make the most of the holiday - again, incurring extra flight costs.
- According to U.S. News and World Report, the Coast Guard was required to keep ships floating near the property. The presidential helicopter and jet remain at the ready and security agents will be on 24-hour duty.HAWAII: DECEMBER 2011According to the Hawaii Reporter the costs were:
- $63,000 on an early flight bringing Mrs Obama and the children to Hawaii ahead of the President but add security and personnel for a total of about $100,000
- $3,271,622 on Mr Obama’s return trip from Washington on Air Force One
- $151,200 to rent nearby homes for Secret Service and Navy Seals
- $72,216 for 24 White House staff to stay at the Moana Hotel
Accounting for trips out of Washington for several days, the total number of vacations Washington Secrets tabulated is 16, 10 where the family was together, such as for Christmas and summer vacations, one by the president and five by the first lady. Not included were Camp David visits or trips like the first family’s New York City date night in May, 2009.
The First Family of Vacations
- President’s Day 2012, Michelle and the first daughters in Aspen, Colorado to ski.
- Christmas 2011, the first family in Hawaii for an extended vacation.
- Summer 2011, in Martha’s Vineyard, Mass., for the annual beach break.
- June 2011, the first lady, her mother and daughters traveled to South Africa and Botswana.
- President’s Day 2011, the first lady and first daughters travel to Vail to ski.
- Christmas 2010, in Hawaii.
- August 2010, the first family traveled to Panama City Beach, Fla., for some sun and fun at the beach.
- August 2010, Obama spent the weekend alone in Chicago for his 49th birthday bash.
- August 2010, the first lady and daughter Sasha traveled to Spain for a mother-daughter vacation.
- August 2010, summer vacation again at Martha’s Vineyard.
- July 2010, the first family went to Mount Desert Island, Maine.
- May 2010, the first family had a four-day trip to Chicago.
- March 2010, first lady and daughter spend Spring Break in New York City.
- Christmas 2009, Hawaii again for the annual break.
- August 2009, at Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Canyon for a short vacation.
- August 2009, their first summer vacation as first family at Martha’s Vineyard, Mass.
*Be sure to read the comments following each article