October 28, 2009

The Few. The Proud. The One.

Do you know who Matthew Hoh  is? 

He is a former Marine captain with combat experience in Iraq.

He is a former State Department foreign service officer based in Zabul, Afghanistan, a Taliban stronghold.

He is a man with the courage of his convictions.

He resigned his job because:

"I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan. I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end. To put simply, I fail to see the value or the worth in the continued U.S. casualties or expenditures of resources in support of the Afghan government in what is, truly, a 35-year-old civil war."

and

"I trust you understand the nature of this war and the sacrifices made by so many thousands of families who have been separated from loved ones deployed in defense of our Nation and whose homes bear the fractures, upheavals and scars of multiple and compounded deployments.  Thousands of our men and women have returned home with physical and mental wounds, some that will never heal or will only worsen with time.  The dead return only in bodily form to be received by families who must be reassured their dead have sacrificed for a purpose worthy of futures lost, love vanished, and promised dreams unkept. I have lost confidence such assurances can anymore be made. As such, I submit my resignation."


Please watch your back. Semper Fi.

No comments: